Croydon is a town in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia found approximately 28 km east of Melbourne's main business area. Croydon has a population of nearly 27,000 individuals. The land that became Croydon was initially utilised back in the 1840’s by colonists for the grazing of farm livestock. The initial road in the area was known as Sawmill road because of a sawmill close by. Later it was altered to Oxford Road and in the 1900’s it was modified as to what it is identified today as Mt Dandenong Road. The area itself was initially referred to as White Flats because the place was greatly populated by a rough silvery-white grass. The naming of Croydon was given to it through the Lacey family who came from Essx, England who called it after the Croydon in the UK which was Mrs. Lacey's hometown. Nearby the current Main St shopping area is a street named after the Lacey family.s

Packages of property in the area were initially mapped in 1868 and the place was first formally habituated with the location working on the farming of sheep, beef and dairy. There were also some sawmills set up. After that, there have been orchards which incorporated cherries, apples, pears, peaches and plums which flourished. A number of the existing street names close by Croydon now mirror that early development. In 1874 Cobb & Co began a service through horses and carts to the area. A rail track to the region was opened on 1 December 1882 and the train station was referred to as Warrandyte that was not actually in Warrandyte which was inaccurate as that region was a horse and coach trip 10km away. On 1 August 1884 it had been redubbed to become known as the Croydon train station. From the mid-1880s Mr James Hewish developed his home and started a few other business ventures that included a general store, news agency, butchers store as well as a hotel. Also, he set up several orchard trees. The Croydon Postal Service was exposed on 1 December 1883. The nearby Nelson's Hill Post Office opened up in 1902 and it was later relabeled Burnt Bridge in 1979. On Mt Dandenong Road in 1908 Croydon Hall had been constructed. Croydon was ultimately announced and gazetted to be a city in 1912.

In 1920 a Monday marketplace was began in Croydon that included livestock, chickens, birds along with other small animals. It was really a known landmark in the region and a favorite assembly place for locals from neighbouring areas prior to the site was re-constructed in the 80s. It was eventually shut down in 2012. Administratively, Croydon was at first part of the thing that was then the Shire of Lillydale, but in 1957 a demand was processed by officers for Croydon to go out of the Shire of Lillydale and be its own governing body. The City and Shire of Croydon was incorporated in May 1961 and was announced as a City in 1971. Later, it was merged, along with the City of Ringwood to become the City of Maroondah in 1994. Today, the Main Street of Croydon is a flourishing community heart that has almost 200 store.